Health Sachet No 304:
When people forget something, they might blame it on memory loss or dementia. But that could happen because of fatigue or as a part of normal life, too.
Here are the early signs of memory loss:
- Forgetting recent happenings while remembering old events;
- Forgetting the right word to express a feeling;
- Mood change: Depression is an early sign; so is change in judgement;
- Loss of interest or apathy;
- Difficulty in complex tasks or games with complex rules;
- Difficulty with directions and spatial orientation;
- Difficulty in adapting to change – so craving routine and becoming repetitive.
Act if you notice these changes more frequently than before. With early diagnosis and treatment, progression of memory loss could be slowed down, though there is no cure.
Medications include cholinesterage inhibitors and memantine.
Supplements include Phosphatidylserine, antioxidants such as Vitamin E and Coenzyme Q10, B Vitamins, Zinc, L-arginine, Melatonin, and Omega-3 fish oil.
Herbs that help are Gingko, Huperzine A, Green Tea, Lemon Balm, Bramhi (bacopa leaves) and Lavender.
- Forgetting a single event does not indicate dementia or memory loss. Watch out for its early signs.
- Dementia has no cure but with early diagnosis and multi-dimensional treatment, its progression can be slowed down.